Avoid a Thanksgiving Plumbing Disaster
Someone once quipped that Thanksgiving was invented for our Nation to give thanks, while the day after was invented for the plumber.
Hmmm…is that true in your household?
No other day of the year is as busy for plumbers as the day after Thanksgiving. Holiday meal preparation and after dinner cleanup create the perfect storm for plumbers who will then be extra busy unclogging toilets, kitchen sinks, and disposals. While shoppers and retailers speak of ‘Black Friday’, many plumbers not so affectionately refer to the day after Thanksgiving as ‘Brown Friday’ because of the sewer and drain messes that they are called upon to deal with.
To avoid a visit from the plumber after your holiday festivities, follow these helpful tips:
- Don’t pour fats or cooking oils down drains. They will solidify in pipes and clog drains.
- Never put stringy, fibrous or starchy waste down the garbage disposal. Disposals can handle most scraps in small quantities but it’s best to toss most food waste into the trash can or compost pile. Make sure the disposal is running when you feed it food scraps.
- Don’t flush cotton balls or wet wipes down toilets. They don’t dissolve and will cause clogs. Place a waste basket in the bathroom so your guests won’t flush these items.
For any drain or other plumbing problems, please set up a service call request with us at Brubaker Inc. at 717.299.5641 or email us.
Read here some additional tips and comments that we have shared in the past with you that might be helpful to see again.
1. Thanksgiving Serves up Perfect Storm for Plumbers and Drain Cleaners PR Newswire, November 23, 2015
2. Thanksgiving grease cooks up plumbing disasters Reuters, November 21, 2014
3. Five easy steps to avoid a Thanksgiving plumbing disaster Contractor Magazine, November 24, 2014
4. Get Your Home Ready for Thanksgiving Porch.com, November 1, 2014