Time to Spring Ahead!
It’s time to Spring Ahead again, but does it really matter?
What kind of winter has this been? Well, it depends on where you live. Here in Lancaster County we had an early snow. It seemed like it might be a long and snowy winter. However, it hasn’t panned out that way. We haven’t had much snow, but we did have two cold spells, one of which we are in at the moment of this posting. The season has been all over the place, temperature-wise and precipitation-wise.
What about our Prognosticators?
Even our two fearless and intrepid weather prognosticators in Pennsylvania, the cousins Punxsutawney Phil and Octoraro Orphie couldn’t seem to agree. Phil predicted an early Spring. Right about now he’s looking like he blew it. Orphie seems to have made the right call.
Somebody check and see if Orphie is gloating.
No matter—regardless of what the weather situation is, Daylight Savings is upon us this weekend.
What is Daylight Savings Time?
Do you know where the term Daylight Savings Time came from? While we have shared this information in the past, you can see here for a refresher of the history lesson.
While we speak of saving light, saving energy and the like, around the time of Daylight Saving Time, we are reminded of something much more precious to save: someone’s life.
It could possibly your life or your loved one’s.
When you “Spring ahead” remember to replace your batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors!
If you don’t have them, have Brubaker Inc. install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors for your family’s safety and peace-of-mind. Contact us at 717.299.5641 or email us.
It Does Matter — Prevent a Tragedy
Frequently we read of tragedies occurring that possibly could have been prevented if people had working up-to-date smoke alarms and CO detectors. Don’t be a statistic! Remember to change your clock, remember to change your CO and smoke alarms.
Your welfare is that important to us. For so little investment of both time and money, peace of mind can be had, and greater still, a possible tragedy might be averted because smoke and CO alarms are present in your home and the batteries are replaced regularly!
You and your loved ones want to be sure to enjoy another Spring together. It would be a tragedy to miss that because of a faulty 9-volt battery or worn-out alarm.
New Technology – No Battery Replacement Necessary
Or, you can skip the battery— pictured at left is one of the new generation 10-Year sealed battery atom photoelectric micro smoke alarm by First Alert.
So, remember when you “Spring ahead”, check the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors!
Daylight Saving Time—Is it Necessary?
There is a growing movement to do away with Daylight Savings Time. Or is it do away with Standard Time? It seems that sentiments for this are as conflicted as the groundhogs’ opinions were. Most areas of the United States observe daylight saving time (DST). Exceptions to this are Arizona (except for the Navajo, who do observe DST on tribal lands) and Hawaii. The territories of American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not observe DST. California, Florida, and Nevada have approved permanent daylight saving time, subject to changes to federal law.
The day may come when DST is considered irrelevant and it is done away with. Until that time comes, we see it still being relevant. A person’s life is relevant too.
1. “Falling Back: Rep. Russ Diamond wants to end Daylight Saving Time in Pennsylvania”, Penncapital-star.com
2. “Why don’t we all just spring forward and stay there, like Florida?”, The Point, CNN.com
3. “Daylight-saving time is a curse against humanity, and we should end it forever”, BusinessInsider.com
4. “End Day Light SavingTime – The Proposal”, StandardTime.com
5. “Daylight Savings Time Is Actually a Good Thing”, PopularMechanics.com
6. “The Never Ending DST Debate”, TimeandDate.com
1. Carbon Monoxide Questions and Answers. U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. CPSC Document #466.
2. ‘The Facts On Carbon Monoxide Poisoning’, Pediatric Views. Published by Childrens Hospital Boston, February, 2006
3. The Police Notebook, University of Oklahoma Police Department, Published by the Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma
4. When Does Daylight Saving Time 2016 End? Newark, CA Patch.com, October 21, 2016
5. Daylight Saving Time Wikipedia.com
6. Daylight saving time starts this weekend: Who observes it, will it affect health? USAToday.com, March 6, 2019