Safety Note – A check for your home’s heating system

An article in the Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era (10/4/11) noted a potentially deadly situation. A family’s heating system/chimney was not working properly.  The carbon monoxide level in the home had reached a deadly level; fortunately the family had a carbon monoxide detector that alerted them to the odorless silent killer. Heating systems and all fuel-fired appliances should be checked annually by licensed professionals to make sure they’re working properly.  Animals can block chimneys by building nests creating a hazard or pieces of the chimney can fall down and block the chimney also.

If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector, one should be installed outside all sleeping areas.  It’s a small price to pay to ensure your family’s safety.

If you have a detector and the alarm goes off, evacuate the house immediately, do not ventilate before the fire department arrives. They will measure the CO levels.

 

Have Brubaker Inc. install carbon monoxide detectors for your family’s safety and peace-of-mind.  Contact us at (717) 299-5641 or email us.